At the heart is an 18.2MP 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS sensor, which features a back-illuminated design, along with a BIONZ X image processor to avail smooth image quality, reduced noise, and an expandable sensitivity range up to ISO 12800. The sensor and processor combination also avail fast performance throughout the camera system, including a 10 fps continuous shooting rate and the ability to record Full HD 1080p video at 60 fps in the XAVC S format. Balancing the imaging capabilities is an apt physical design, which incorporates both a pop-up OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder and 180° tilting 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor into its design, along with built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for wireless image sharing and remote camera control via a linked smartphone or tablet. Contrasting the sleek size, the HX80 is also distinguished by its expansive 30x zoom Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens, which provides a 24-720mm equivalent zoom range. Spanning wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives, this lens benefits from its 5-axis Optical SteadyShot image stabilization; minimizing the appearance of camera shake to produce sharper results. A true all-in-one pocketable camera, the HX80 blends both form and function, as well as imaging versatility to handle a wide array of everyday shooting needs.
- 8.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
- Using an 18.2MP 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor, the HX80 is able to produce high-resolution stills and full HD video with notable clarity and smooth tonality. The sensor employs a back-illuminated design, too, allowing it to achieve reduced noise levels along with a native sensitivity range to ISO 3200, which can be extended to ISO 12800 for working in low-light conditions. The sensor and processor also provide a continuous shooting rate of 10 fps for up to 10 consecutive frames in a burst.
Additionally, Full HD 1080 video recording is supported in 60p, 60i, or 24p frame rates, with the ability to use the high-quality 50 Mbps XAVC S format or familiar high-definition AVCHD format. When using either of these formats, a secondary Internet-friendly MP4 version can be simultaneously recorded for easy online sharing.
- Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 30x Optical Zoom Lens
- Covering wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives, the built-in 30x Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens spans a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range. Five aspherical elements are incorporated in the optical design, which reduce spherical aberrations throughout the zoom range, and a T* anti-reflective coating helps to control lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color neutrality.
Complementing the optical design, the lens's performance also benefits from its 5-axis Optical SteadyShot image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake. An Intelligent Active Mode is also available to reduce blur common to shooting video while moving. Also aiding in achieving sharp imagery, Fast Intelligent AF employs an optimized spatial object detection algorithm to quicken focusing speeds as well as refine accuracy for consistently sharp results.
- Body Design and Wi-Fi
- Helping to maintain a sleek form factor, the 638k-dot OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder employs a unique pop-up design to retain a pocketable overall size when not in use.
- A comfortable viewing alternative, the rear 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor employs a 180° tilting design to facilitate working from low angles or taking front-facing selfies.
- The large right-hand grip offers increased comfort and support for longer shooting sessions.
- A customizable function button can be programmed to adjust one of 12 oft-used camera settings, such as white balance, Picture Effects, and more; for faster, more intuitive access to settings switching.
- A Digital Level Gauge helps to ensure consistently level horizons and plumb verticals during shooting.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC lets you wirelessly share imagery to a smartphone or tablet for instant sharing online. This connectivity also lets you remotely control the camera from a mobile device.
- A series of PlayMemories Camera Apps can be added to the camera to increase the functionality and add new shooting modes.
- The included NP-BX1 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 390 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, or 360 shots per charge when shooting with the electronic viewfinder.